Thursday, February 25, 2010

Unos Momentos Pequenos

So I don't have a lot to write about, just a few small moments that made the week great. :) We got out of class early on Tuesday...which usually isn't a big deal, but I still haven't gotten used to this schedule (pathetic, I know) so getting out early means being able to actually cook...since we have been eating out more than we would like...which means eating A)healthier and B) at home on the couch in front of the tv. This also meant that we got to nap...for all the times that I never slept in Kindergarten when we had time designated during school for napping, I am definitely doing it now. This made the day so much nicer.

Wednesday morning, after a conference with my teacher about a few things, we found out that we would be judging the school's science fair. I remember my dad helping me build crazy contraptions and cutting out cardboard pieces for me to put my presentations on. This brought back a lot of memories and I felt really official being able to judge these kids and get to know why they chose to do these particular projects. Some kids were super shy and it was hard to get them to say a lot, which unfortunately affected how I judged their entry. With others, it was amazing to see their true curiosity for what they worked on and their pride in explaining to me their scientific method. These kids are so bright and I loved hearing them talk with such happiness and excitement! Another thing that happened that morning was the need for my Spanish speaking. Some of the kids at this school barely know English and I was getting asked to judge those that could only speak Spanish. This happens every now and then but at the moment I felt so blessed to have the ability to communicate in more than one language. Spanish is such a dominant language in this area, that I really need to thank my parents more for teaching me.

This morning, we were working on literacy centers and I was in charge of a writing center where the students were working on writing objects that started with the letter A. There were 6 objects, one of them being a bee (Abeja in Spanish). I was emphasizing each syllable and we came to the "ja" of Abeja and each student was spelling it with an H (which is the correct sound in English, but in Spanish the H sound is made with a J. After seeing so many students use this spelling, a new student came to my center. He is really bright, but is a little behind what the other students already know. I continued to help him spell his words and we came to this same word. I made the H sound and he looks at me and says "J." I got so excited for such a small event, but it was a good moment for me getting to see that at least one student, that for now is used to getting the answer last, knew the answer far before anyone else. I got super excited, which made him really happy as well. I couldn't ask for a better learning/teaching moment for the week than that.

God is really blessing me lately, and although these may be insignificant to some, they really made my week so much better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment