Wednesday, January 20, 2010

gearing up for a busy semester

The Spring semester has begun...and with it this time comes teaching Methods for both Steven and me. We have completed a week tomorrow and it seems as though we are gonna be super busy, but at the same time a ton more rewarded than we have in previous classes. Classes this semester include teaching Science, Literature, Special Ed and a basic Elementary Ed class. In addition to these, we are spending 6 hours a week in the classroom helping out teachers. So far so good! Today was the 2nd day of being in the class. It just so worked out that Steven and I are working with teachers that switch classes as part of a Dual Language Program. What this means is that our teachers each stick with one language: one being solely English (Steven's cooperating teacher) and solely Spanish (my cooperating teacher). The classes spend one week with a teacher and then switch for the entire year. Although I am very fluent in Spanish, I rarely speak it, but this is giving me a great experience in being more confident in using the language. Like I said, busy-ness is unavoidable, but it will be really worth it, not to mention the great experience we will gain from it. One thing I would change? being able to wear jeans...have to dress up every day, which I will definitely have to get used to....

I am taking an extra class in addition to the methods block: Romantic Comedy. I went to the first class meeting today and let's just say I do not know nearly as much about the genre as I thought...apparently watching chick flicks since the age of 13 or so doesn't make me an expert, especially when the genre apparently starts with Shakespeare...how he is writing Romantic Comedy I still don't understand. It will include watching a few films I've never even heard of and ending up writing a 10 page paper over the genre...I hope I can handle this class...

It's gonna be a crazy, happy, rewarding and probably stressful semester. Say a prayer!

2 comments:

  1. Great update.... but you didn't put a commercial for your facebook page... lol Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are going well for you! I hear ya on the jeans thing..being able to wear them only once a week isn't easy. I've learned that khakis are a close second though.

    ReplyDelete