Thursday, July 3, 2014

Busy Bins

after 2 years without blogging and 39485738 minutes of figuring out how to log back in (college email, really?) I am back with a purpose: breaking down Cy's new busy bins.  While the last time I posted I was newly pregnant, Cy is almost 2 and is keeping us on our toes.  After hours searching Pinterest for sensory bin and busy bag ideas, I got over myself, loaded Cy up in the car and headed off to our local Dollar Tree in search of a few boxes to keep Cy occupied when he seems restless at home!  I was absolutely successful and found so many great things! (and spent less than $30! double score!)  I posted a picture of Cy playing to Facebook recently and had a few people ask about specifics of what's in the boxes...Cy has LOVED the boxes and I don't keep them out all the time, just so they're slightly forgotten about and I can pull them out when we're all about to go a little looney!  I'll do my best to break everything down. :) 


Bin #1: Pom Poms/old wipes box - this is by far the easiest and most entertaining box!  



I literally dumped a package of pom poms in a wipey box.  


 He learns tons of hand-eye coordination!  All the pom poms start outside of the box and he puts them in one or two at a time!  Rinse and repeat!  and it's QUIET! :)  



Bin #2: Cereal sensory/measuring.  I interchange this with colored water or different types of cereal.  This is my go-to while I cook and need to not chase my busy boy all over the kitchen.  Plus, totally edible!  You can use whatever cereal you like and get creative!  I just use Cheerios because I don't mind if he eats the whole box while he plays!  not really...but you get the point.  






















 Bin #3: Oatmeal and rubber frogs.  
I'll admit Cy isn't the biggest fan of this one, but I'm sure it'll come along as he gets older.  Also took a plastic shovel that was attached to one of those beach buckets.  Good for digging!  I might use dirt instead and convert this to an outdoor excavation toy!  Boys love that stuff, right?








Bin #4: Oatmeal, measuring spoons, and funnels! 
 Cy LOVES this one, but it is MESSY!  So be prepared!  Anyways, also bought a set of funnels and the measuring spoons at Dollar Tree.  I actually have two bins here, that way Cy can transfer oatmeal from one bin to the other.  You could use rice, beans, or whatever you like.  This goes easily into the funnels, and Cy won't try to eat it.  So there's that.  Bingo! :)







Bin #5: Pom Poms and measuring cups.  Transferring pom poms from cup to cup and from cup to bin is Cy's fave!  Easy peasy!




 Bin #6: Pipe Cleaners and a collander!  Perfect for hand-eye coordination and cause/effect!  I only have a few pipe cleaners here, because it seems to be still effective without being cray-cray!  Cy puts pipe cleaners wherever he chooses, plus you can pull them from the opposite end. 















Bin #7: Pretend Cleaning
Kids LOVE imitating and while I wish he would see me cleaning more often, it's still super cute and works when you need a few to dust and they can "help."  Dusting cloth, mini broom/dustpan, duster, and scrub brush.  All supplies from Dollar Tree!







Hope this helps just a little bit!  I am by no means an expert on sensory/educational play, but just a momma who needs a little help entertaining her kid and will spend countless hours on Pinterest for fun ideas!  I will convert these to color sorting/counting when the time comes and I will maybe remember my password to do it more easily next time!  Happy bin building! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment